|Nicholas Hebda, BA|
> 8 Years
1. Both male and female will be accrued to the study, without any pre-specified sex
2. Subject must have either HbSS or HbS/beta thal.
3. Subject is >8 years of age; if subject is <18 years, parental consent is needed. 4. Understands the process of and is willing to provide a written consent.
1. Is taking immunosuppressive agents, including corticosteroids with prednisone at a
dose of > 30 mg/day or other forms of corticosteroid at the equivalent dose.
2. Has taken systemic antimicrobials (except prophylactic Penicillin) in the preceding
3. Has had a vaso-occlusive crisis in the preceding two weeks.
4. Has a history of colon cancer or an inflammatory bowel disease.
5. Has a history of clostridium difficile infection in the preceding eight weeks.
6. History of psychiatric disorder which in the investigators opinion may compromise
compliance with the protocol or which does not allow for appropriate informed consent.
7. Pregnant or lactating females.
8. Patients who are court-mandated to reside at a treatment facility (e.g., drug or
psychiatric treatment) or prison.