|Candice Moulder, MPh, CCRP|
|Conley Kelley, MS|
1 United States site
> 7 Years
1. Diagnosis of sickle cell disease (genotype SS, SC, or SB0), thalassemia
(transfusion dependent or transfusion independent), or normal control subject
that are ≥18yrs, ethnicity, and sex matched to the sickle cell disease
2. Ability to tolerate a one hour MRI examination.
3. Age equal to or greater than 7 years old for Anemia groups.
4. Agreeable to use an approved method of contraception for the entire duration of
hydroxyurea usage if accepted onto the hydroxyurea substudy (male or female of
1. Hospitalization within one month
2. Contraindication to acetazolamide use (seizures)
3. Severe claustrophobia.
4. Pregnancy or nursing (a negative HCG (pregnancy) test must be obtained prior to MRI)
5. As a result of medical review, physical examination or screening investigations, the
Principal Investigator (PI) considers the subject unfit for the study
6. No fixed address
7. In control subjects, chronic hepatitis, diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery
disease, cognitively impaired or developmental delay