1 United States site
6 to 12 Years
– Children with either HbSS (sickle cell anemia) or HbSβ-thal (hemoglobin S beta
thalassemia) who are between 6 and 12 years of age
– Child’s parent or primary caregiver agrees to participate in the study
– Child is monolingual in a language other than English and cannot complete standardized
testing in English
– Parent or caregiver of the child is not fluent in English or Spanish
– Child has some other developmental disability not related to SCD. This would include
Down’s syndrome, autism, pervasive developmental disability, cerebral palsy, seizure
disorder, consequences of severe prematurity, or a documented closed head injury that
resulted in loss of consciousness.
– Child has been diagnosed with a significant mental health disorder that is not
responsive to behavioral or medical management. This includes severe depression,
schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder. Children whose mental health problem is
effectively treated are eligible for participation.