18 to 55 Years
Phase 1/Phase 2
– Stable sickle cell disease patients
– FICAT classification of osteonecrosis, inclusive of Stage II.
– Diagnosis will be based on X-Ray and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
– No infection in affected bones at the time of surgery.
– Patient competent to give informed consent.
– Scoring at least 20 points on the pain and daily life activities questionnaire.
– FICAT stage III or more
– Patients with a history of corticosteroids or on active therapy
– Bone infection at the limb affected by necrosis
– Recurrent painful crises,
– Immunosuppressive drug therapy,
– Presence of neoplastic disease or any other clinical concurrent condition other than
sickle cell disease that predisposed them to the development of osteonecrosis of the