1 United States site
> 8 Years
– Patients with sickle cell trait
– Patients with known hemoglobinopathies involving one or two genes for sickle
– Healthy volunteers for control experiments
– Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are eligible to enroll in this protocol.
– A pregnant or breastfeeding woman will not be enrolled of the donation of
research bloos samples poses any clinical risk.
– No pregnant minors will be enrolled.
– Age range: Minors greater than or equal to 8 years of age and adults greater than or
equal to 18 years of age
– Subjects who are unable to comprehend the investigational nature of the laboratory
research are ineligible to enroll in this protocol.
– As a safety precaution in handling the blood samples, patients with HIV, Hepatitis B
or Hepatitis C will be excluded from the study. HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitits C
testing will not be done under this study. Participants must be co-enrolled under
another NIH protocol where the screening evaluation has been performed.