|Doralina Anghelescu, MD|
2 United States sites
6 to 25 Years
– Participant must have sickle cell disease (any genotype), documented in the St. Jude
– Participant must be seeking care for acute VOC pain at St. Jude Children’s Research
Hospital or the Methodist Health system.
– Participant age must be ≥ 6 years and ≤ 25 years.
– English speaking
– Prior randomization in this study.
– Patients are currently enrolled on another pain management interventional trial for
the presenting pain crisis.
– Mild pain (score <4), or pain for which treatment with opioid is not indicated. - Pain in combination with other clinical symptoms that require additional interventions, including fever with focus, acute chest syndrome, acute injury, or splenic sequestration. - Developmental or psychiatric disorders like autism, claustrophobia or other disabilities like vision and hearing defects etc. that preclude the use of a head mounted device. - Inability or unwillingness of research participant or legal guardian/ representative to give written informed consent.